Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Year's Resolution for 2010

It's a new year, and already I have broken one of my resolutions. The resolution centered on being far more consistent in adding content to this blog. It's already January 17, 2010 and this is the first entry for the New Year. Well here goes, even if I am a little late in getting started.

To keep myself on track with my resolution I decided I needed to give myself a focus. I thought through several options that were inspired by books that I received for Christmas from my brother and from my daughter.

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Cake Bible" is a wonderful book that takes a very interesting approach to learning how to bake cakes. I have found it difficult to consistently bake a good cake. I have one recipe that's off the back of the Hershey's cocoa box that I think is a winner, but that is about it. So I thought maybe I should try to get my cake baking skills up to par with my pie baking skills. Maybe blogging about the cake baking learning curve was the way to go.

"Whole Grain Breads" by Peter Reinhart is an exhaustive book about bread baking. I love homemade bread, my kids love homemade bread. I have a few tried and true recipes that I can knock out on demand, but my repertoire is extremely limited. Maybe it was time to get serious and learn some new tricks and blog about the experience.

But up on the shelf is a recipe book that I have turned to many times. The book is entitled "Pie", and is written by Don Haedrich. In a straightforward and relaxed style he focuses on what I agree are the essentials for making consistently great pies.

There are 300 pie recipes in the book, written with great instructions, interesting antidotes, and wonderful musings. If I were going to make all the recipes in a recipe book, this is the one for me. So Mr. Haedrich's recipe book will be my guide for blogged thoughts and reflections for some time to come as I bake my way through the book. Now I know this is not an original idea, but nonetheless, it seems to be an adventure worth taking if not imitating.

So we begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment